Thursday, September 14, 2006

Congratulations to my Grandparents

Last weekend we visited Southern California for a celebration for my Grandparents' 65th wedding anniversary. A huge thank you to my relatives who hosted the dinner. It was a joyous celebration.


I am filled with admiration for my Grandparents, and have great memories of our times together. When we were young we loved going to their house for family dinners. My Grandmother is an excellent cook, and my Grandfather tells great stories, and knows how to entertain kids better than anyone I’ve ever known.

When the adults were doing their after-dinner sit and talk, Grandpa seemed perfectly happy to steal off with the kids to play in the attic. Their house is a grandkid’s dream. In the attic there is a real stage, with a backstage room filled with mysterious objects and trunks full of lacy garments. Other grand-kid-friendly amenities include a ping-pong/pool table and a forbidden perilous spiral staircase fraught with history of maiming injury that leads up to a circular tower room. We loved exploring, playing, and spending time with them there.

My Grandparents each have numerous unique talents and taught us many things. Much will be written (and has) about their lives. It is an honor to be a part of their legacy. Congratulations for reaching this rare milestone Grandma and Grandpa!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Grandma and Grandpa on your anniversary! You both have been an inspiration to me.
    I also have great memories of visiting their house. Some of the highlights were listening to Grandpa's stories, eating Grandma's delicious meals, getting to play in the attic with the pool/ping pong table and stage, and playing hide-and-seek in a house with many nooks and crannies. The old clothes and musical instruments in the attic made great costumes and props for "plays" and "concerts". Notice that the words "plays" and “concerts” are in quotes since any resemblance between those performances and actual plots and music are purely coincidental. And I can't forget their dog Clancy. I remember purposely letting crumbs fall on the table and seeing if Clancy's tongue was long enough to reach them.

    ReplyDelete